1. How are my sewer charges determined?
    Your monthly sewer bill is based on your water consumption. The District obtains consumption readings from WV American Water and applies the sewer rate approved by the WV Public Service Commission. Rates for customers of Kanawha PSD are available for review at the District’s business office.
  2. What is the security deposit?
    The security deposit is to secure the payment of sewer service rates and charges and is required to be paid by all sewer customers. After a customer, who is not a tenant, has paid their sewer bill for twelve (12) consecutive months without a delinquency, the District will refund the deposit plus interest by applying a credit to the customer account.  If the customer is a tenant, the security deposit plus interest is refunded when the customer discontinues service with the District. If an unpaid account balance exists at the time the security deposit is payable to the customer, the security deposit plus interest will be applied to the customer’s unpaid account balance.
  3. What should I do if my water has been terminated for non-payment of sewer charges?
    Call Kanawha PSD’s office at 304-595-2203, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
  4. Why is my sewer bill so high?
    Your sewer bill is based on the amount of water used during the billing cycle. If you feel that your water consumption is high, call WV American Water at 1-800-685-8660.
  5. I have just bought/rented a new property and I need to transfer the sewer service into my name.  What do I need to do?
    You must first call WV American Water at 1-800-685-8660 to establish water service in your name and obtain an account number. Next, you will have to complete the  sewer application, provide a proof of identity, proof of residency, and pay a security deposit. You may mail a notarized copy of the application, a copy of your lease or proof  of purchase, and a check/money order to Kanawha PSD’s office at  PO Box 8, Cabin Creek, WV  25035.  If the application is not notarized, you must present it in person at the District’s business office along with valid photo ID, proof of residence, and deposit payment.  The physical address to the office is 14991 MacCorkle Ave, Chelyan, WV  25035.
  6. How do I pay my security deposit?
    The security deposit can be paid with cash or a check or money order made payable to Kanawha PSD. Electronic payments for security deposit can only be made in person at the District’s business office located at 14991 MacCorkle Ave Chelyan, WV  25035.
  7. What forms of payment are accepted for my monthly sewer bill?
    You may pay your bill by mailing a check or money order, using a credit or debit card on our website or by cash, check, credit card, or money order at our office. You can also use a credit card over the phone by calling 304-595-2203.  Finally, you can utilize the after hours drop box located at the Old UKVEC building in Chelyan.
  8. What if I did not receive my bill in the mail?
    Call our office if you did not receive your monthly bill. You are responsible for paying the bill whether it is received or not.
  9. Who should I contact if I need to have the sewer line located prior to digging a ditch, post hole, planting a tree, etc.?  Always contact Miss Utility of WV before you dig by calling 811 or 1-800-245-4848. You can also visit www.wv811.com.
  10. What is Kanawha PSD’s service responsibility?
    Kanawha PSD is responsible for public sewer mains, most of which are located in the public right of ways and easements.  We are NOT responsible for storm sewers , drains, or customer’s service line. For stop ups, leaks, or other sewer emergencies, please call  304-546-7156, 304-807-7737, or 304-541-8411.  Please note that suspension of water service does not constitute a sewer emergency.
  11. What is the property owners’ responsibility?
    The property owner is responsible for all inside plumbing and the outside customer service line to the edge of the property or where the service line connects to the sewer main.
  12. What should I do if I notice an alarm light on at one of Kanawha PSD’s lift stations?
    Please call the Kanawha PSD’s sewer emergency number 24 hours/day, 7 days/week listed on the customer service page.

Kanawha PSD
14991 MacCorkle Ave
Cabin Creek, WV 25035